See below the current position in the development of ISO 45001 as of June 2016
- ISO Project Committee (PC) 283 is responsible for the development of ISO 45001 Occupational Health and Safety management systems – Requirements with guidance for use
- The committee met in Toronto in June 2016 to review the outcome of a ballot on ISO DIS 45001 amongst its membership from 65 participating countries and determine the next steps
The following is a summary of the significant questions and outputs from the meeting:
Why is ISO 45001 being developed?
- To help organizations minimise the risk of harm to all those working on its behalf (defined as workers)
- To provide a platform for continual improvement on occupational health and safety performance
- To integrate Occupational Health and Safety within an organization’s overall business management systems and processes
What was the result of the ballot?
- The ballot closed on 12 May 2016
- 71% voted in favour but this was insufficient to proceed to Final Draft (FDIS)
- There were almost 3000 comments
What were the key issues and comments?
- A number of Terms and Definitions, e.g. worker, were discussed
- The need to avoid the inclusion of requirements within notes
- There were questions about the alignment with ISO14001 and deviation from Annex SL
- The content of clause 5.4 (Participation and Consultation), structure of Clause 6 (Planning) and content of clause 7.3 (Awareness) were discussed
What options were considered?
- Prepare a second DIS (DIS 2)
- Publish the Draft as a Technical Specification (TS) (not agreed)
- Revert to Committee Draft stage (not considered a viable option)
What next steps were agreed?
- Establish a Task Group to review comments, make recommendations and provide draft
- PC283 and Working Group meet in October 2016 to produce text for DIS 2 (addressing the comments and issues raised)
- Apply to ISO for an extension of 9 months for completion of project
What are the possible timelines to publication?
- DIS 2 to be prepared by November 2016, translated by January 2017
- DIS 2 ballot February/March 2017
- Next PC 283 meeting May 2017
- Publication of FDIS November 2017